Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Review: Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1)
By Jennifer Estep
Published: August 1st, 2011
Publisher: K-Teen
Paperback, 350 pages

My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy; a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why; especially since I should have been the one who died... --Goodreads

3.5 Stars

Review
Gwen's character is sort of cliché. At Mythos Academy she begins as a social nerdy outcast who has no friends, but then has a revelation and becomes someone more to be reckoned with. My favorite part about her was her gift, pyschometry, the power that when she touches things (or people) she gets an impression of that person's thoughts/feelings. It is a totally new and unique power.

Another one of my favorite parts is when one of the popular girls, who seems like a typical mean girl, pleasantly surprises me in her depth of personality and her ability to really grow as a character. The love interest, on the other hand, I am conflicted about. I pretty much like him, but towards the the end he and Gwen part on very odd terms, and I get that it could all be resolved in the next book, but it just sort of bothers me. He also acts very hot and cold with Gwen. 

The writing was clear and simple, which made this book easy to read and be able to focus on the plot. The plot was enjoyable, but not amazingly original. I also like Gwen, and look forward to more character development with her. All in all I would recommend Touch of Frost, and am looking forward to the next book in the series.

Purchase this book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble / The Book Depository       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts! We really appreciate your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...