Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Review: Reached by Ally Condie

Reached (Matched #3)
By Ally Condie
Published November 13th, 2012
Publisher: Penguin



Cassia’s journey began with an error, a momentary glitch in the otherwise perfect façade of the Society. After crossing canyons to break free, she waits, silk and paper smuggled against her skin, ready for the final chapter.
The wait is over.
One young woman has raged against those who threaten to keep away what matters most—family, love, choice. Her quiet revolution is about to explode into full-scale rebellion.
With exquisite prose, the emotionally gripping conclusion to the international–bestselling Matched trilogy returns Cassia, Ky, and Xander to the Society to save the one thing they have been denied for so long, the power to choose.
-Goodreads

Review
Wow. What a conclusion to this series. Although I originally liked it, Matched was a great dystopian book (if a little stereotypical), but Reached kinda let me down. The reason why I did decide to read Reached, was because I had to know the ending. Well, here I am, now done the series. I have to say, that was a fitting ending.

I have to admit it. The beginning half was pretty boring. Not much action. It's not so bad though, you are able to get a feel for what part everyone plays in the Rising. Also, I did like the alternating views between Cassia, Ky, and Xander. The reader is able to glimpse what everyone is doing, and how they all connect together, which I love.  

Once the pace quickens, and stuff starts happening, it's quite a whirlwind and very unpredictable, which is what I like about it. My favorite part though, has to be the ending. It was left kind of open ended, which I usually hate, but I think it was a fitting end to the series. At first Iwas annoyed at the ending, how can it be left open like that? But after a while I understood that maybe it was all for the best, and maybe some things are better left a mystery unanswered. It also was a bittersweet ending, I have to admit that I absolutely love sunset happy endings, but yet the end was so perfect. The loss was present, but the hope shined through, which I think is the case for a lot of real life stories, which made it more realistic and presented it in a way I definitely could connect with and understand. Having a balance between sadness and happiness is very hard, and Condie did an amazing job.  

This book was a little deeper than the others. It really made you think, especially concerning the Pilot. You are never given a full answer, and you're let to chew on that idea. I think it's great 'cause it lets people interpret it in different ways. The writing was also stunning. I think Reached really let Condie show off her writing style (especially at the end).

Reached is the finale in a series about a girl ready and willing to fight for change. The beginning was quite slow, but I strongly suggest for readers to hang on, the wait for the good stuff (the really interesting part) is worth it. Overall I would suggest this series to anyone who likes dystopian stories with a deeper feel to them, and even if you're not a fan of love triangles (which I'm not really) still read this series, it rights itself in the end (that's all I can say). Have fun!

Purchase this book at: Amazon / Barnes and Noble / The Book Depository

2 comments:

  1. I really loved Matched, but I just couldn't make myself finish Crossed. I didn't hate it, but I was so bored I just didn't care about the characters anymore. I'm glad you enjoyed the final book, maybe I'll give Crossed another try and finish the series.

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cover! I think all three will look amazing together. Excited to have a copy!

    Marlene Detierro (Parts Hummer)

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts! We really appreciate your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...